Put in simple language, the Great Commissioning by Lord Jesus Christ are his everyday “marching orders” for each and every disciple of his.
In every succeeding generation – and as he termed it – in every world, setting, or circumstance we happen to be in. But just spelling out or repeating our Great Commission is one thing.
Perhaps an argument can be made that people can’t obey an order they don’t understand. It may be the case some believers or twenty-first disciples don’t quite understand their Great Commission.
On the other hand, some believers or twenty – first century disciples are apparently so busy addressing the cares and concerns of this first life, and:
Being satisfied with just “bare bits” of awareness regarding their Great Commission – they’d be “hard pressed” to give good reasons for its ongoing neglect by them…
As a consequence of the above, this orientation is designed to empower today’s disciples of Lord Jesus Christ to, not only get a clarity on their daily marching orders, but also:
Grasp the rationale by our Lord to ensure a no-nonsense mindset for victory – in daily battle with evil – empowered by deep understanding of the Commissioning by Lord Jesus Christ.
Having risen from death, Jesus’ command is recorded in Matthew 28:19-20; Mark 16:14-18; Luke 24:45-49.
Additionally, closing commentaries by John underscore Jesus’ example of a daily “marching order” or life style to be followed in perpetuity.
For our benefit, Mathew’s summary is arguably most helpful:
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.
Breaking it all down. Again, it’s hard to obey – or easy to ignore – what we claim we don’t understand. And there are bits that appear open to interpretation – or misunderstanding.
So let’s take Matthew’s summary and make it “plain as daylight”
19 Therefore:A. GO AND (VERSE 19)B. MAKE DISCIPLES OF ALL NATIONS,C. BAPTIZE THEM IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, SON AND THE HOLY SPIRIT,D. TEACH THEM TO OBEY EVERYTHING I HAVE COMMANDED YOU. (VERSE 20)
Questions for a keen focus:
1. In your opinion, is it probable for “GO” to be misinterpreted? YES NO (underscore one)
A. Explain your understanding of what our Lord Jesus meant by “GO“
B. Is the commissioning by Lord Jesus directed to every believer or disciple today? If “Yes” or “No” Offer some Bible references for your position.
2. If your position is “Yes” – what resource(s) are currently available to “make disciples of all nations?”
3. Again if “Yes” explain “Baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost”
4. Finally, how can “Teach them to obey everything I have commanded you” be accomplished?
Father God, by the empowering and the direction of Jesus’ Holy Spirit, help me through out this upcoming week, to be the salt and light my world needs of me. In his name I humbly pray. Amen
Well, how about you?
- If you have yet to, become a REBEL now!
- Join us in the ongoing world-wide rebellion against Satan! Browse elsewhere on this blog to find out how – or better yet – just simply say with me right now:
- My dear Lord Jesus, I’m the sinner you died to save.
- I love you, please help me learn to love you more.
- I believe in you. Please help me believe you more.
- I humbly confess you are the only and true Son of God.
- Father God, please forgive me of my all my sins. Make me to be “born again” in the name of Lord Jesus who died and rose from the grave by you for me…
Thank you for bringing me into your Everlasting Kingdom, with the Holy Spirit of Lord Jesus Christ now alive in me. So now and forever in his matchless name I give you my thanks and my praise. Amen. My dear brother or sister, let me be the first to say "Welcome to the forever family of our loving Jehovah God!